Saturday, March 31, 2012

Three Years Ago…

Three years ago this weekend Dillon and I had our first date. We had been having long phone conversations the week before, and after Priesthood Session of April General Conference we met up. Dillon was house-sitting at Bear’s house so I went over there for our date. We decided to make toasted subs to bring for the potluck at church the next day.


This is a picture we went back to take later,

but it's the house where we had our first date


As we went grocery shopping, and made the food I was happily surprised at how easy it was to be around Dillon. I had recently been on another first date that I had thought went well enough. But with Dillon it felt so natural and conversation was effortless. It felt right from the first moment.

After we assembled the subs and the choco-flan that’s Dillon’s specialty, Dillon pulled out a selection of 4 or 5 movies for me to choose from. They included Miracle, Invincible, Remember the Titans, Coach Carter… total sports movies. He asked if I would like any of these. I still laugh thinking back at the look of wonder on his face when I told him I owned all these movies and they were my favorites. I told him I watched Invincible earlier that week, but as a proud Minnesota Girl I’d have to choose Miracle. He was definitely happy to be on a date with a girl who not only liked sports but could more than hold her own talking about sports, and enjoyed talking about them.

During the movie he put his arm around me, and we had a great conversation. Being Minnesota it was no real surprise that after the movie there was 2+ inches of snow on my car (on the first weekend of April). Dillon walked me out, put his coat on me and grabbed my brush to clear my car off for me (so sweet!). As we stood there saying goodbye I suddenly found myself hoping he would kiss me good night…

I must have been giving some cue because sure enough he hit me with the cute, super cheesy, adorable line: “every time I’m with you it’s such an adventure. Are you up for a little more adventure?” I bashfully nodded yes, then I had my last (best) first kiss ever.

After that night it was a landslide of activity as we dated every night before I left for Europe later that week (by which time we were madly in love). It still seems crazy to me how fast thing moved, but I am so happy for the man I’ve been married to for over the last 2.5 years. I’m so excited to get to be the mother of his son, who joins our family in 6 weeks!

Every conference now we make toasted subs, and I’m really excited to have them for lunch today in remembrance of the best date of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment