Sunday, June 9, 2013

Our Trip to Mount Vernon

It is so nice to be back together again as a little family. A month apart sure makes you cherish it even more. Now we are all in Wilmington, DE while Dillon works for the summer. Vince and I have full days too, but more on that in the next entry...

Vince has been SO excited to play and cuddle with his dad again
 Memorial Day Weekend (our first all together again) we took a little road-trip 2 and a half hours down to Washington DC. We took in the main sites last year when we went, but wanted to see it again. My buddy Addi and his wife Kaitlin live in DC so I invited them to lunch one day. Instead they invited us to stay with them in Virginia for the night! Libby was in town too! I lived with Addi & Libby for 8 months my senior year of high school so it was a great family reunion!

Libby, Me, Dillon, Vince, Addi & Kaitlin on Memorial Day

We asked Kaitlin where we should go if we had already seen the major sites in DC and she recommended Mount Vernon (George Washington's Estate). We were stoked and headed out after getting to spend Sunday night and Monday morning laughing with, and catching up with some of my very favorite people on earth.

It was great weather for a day out. We stopped at the Gristmill & Brewery on the property first. Now I worked really hard to play with Vince when Dillon was gone (Dillon is Vince's favorite toy/playground) but seeing those two together walking around let me know pretty quick that I was a poor substitute! Those boys have so much fun together!

Vincey's favorite way to travel!

Dad and Vince watching the corn get milled at Mount Vernon

Best Buds!
 After that we went up to the estate and got to tour Washington's home and the grounds. There are a lot of buildings making up the estate: kitchen, smokehouse, laundry, green houses, slave/servant quarters, barns.... it was staggering!
Vince flying and giggling in the gardens with Dillon.

Vince & I in front of the house

For the most part Vince was a champ either riding on Dad's shoulders, in the stroller or running around but at the end Dillon and I wanted to walk through some of the exhibits inside the Education Center. Our poor little guy was fussy until he fell asleep in my arms (which he NEVER does anymore). I was such a delight to cuddle with my sleeping Prince!

Our sweet, sleepy boy

No comments:

Post a Comment