Thursday, July 12, 2012

Highlights and Lowlights

Lately we've found ourselves in a great rhythm. I get up with Vince at nights. That boy is like an alarm clock he's up every 3 hours on the dot if he's up at 2:45am then he'll be up at 5:45am. It cracks me up how exact it is. Although about 2 times a week he will sleep for 5 or 6 hours at a time (once even 7 hours!!!). Dillon will get up with him the last time between 6:30 and 8:30 so I can sleep for a good chunk while he's up getting ready for work and with Vince. 

Then while the guys are at work Vince is up for longer periods in the day and gets really playful at times. It is so precious and these little moments make the 2am feedings so worth it. Below is a video of one of our play times. They are brief (usually 5-10 minutes once or twice a day) but I was thrilled to capture one to keep and to share. 


There are maybe 2 hours a day now when he's napping and I don't have to pump or run errands or cook dinner so it's nice to have time to do other things (thus the increase in blogs) and I've been able to get to my growing to do list, and work on lesson plans for next year. I almost never nap during the day, but I'm adjusting to less sleep. I love watching him so peaceful while he dreams. He's so big now! He's 23 inches (20 when he was born) and weighs 15 pounds (he's gained 5 since we've been in DE)

He sleeps in the weirdest positions. Look at all that chub he's got now!

The guys are home from 12:45 to 3:45 and they both grab lunch and quick cat naps. Also it gives me a chance to run to the gym or to the store with their car. Then they head back to the doors and get home just before 9pm. I love getting have time to really make dinners again (now that I have a break from work and class) and have been experimenting with recipes. This week I made chicken lettuce wraps, and hawaiian meatballs from scratch. 

Then we all spoil Vince rotten with attention. He's like a fun new toy for Dillon and Kyle (evidence below). Vince loves boy time. 


I was in the bedroom when Dillon walks in with Vince like this. I of course burst out laughing. Vince likes it and it's cute enough I don't care about the outfit getting streched out.


Kyle getting in on the action. 
This week I have been on a video conference with work for training on new technology as we are becoming an ischool next year. It's been a challenge, but on the up side it made me unavailable to take Vince to the clinic for his immunizations on Wednesday, so Dillon took him. I would have lost it, although it was't any easier on Dillon.

This is Vincey before his shots in his cute new outfit
When Dillon got back he told me it broke his heart. Vince got 6 immunizations packed into 3 shots. Dillon said Vince's crying escalated in intensity as he got each new shot, but that after like 3 minutes he had calmed back down with a pouty face on.

About 6 hours after his shots Vince suddenly started screaming. I've never heard him like that. It was clearly an "I'm in pain" scream. He was beet red, sweating, crying, shaking... even thinking about it has me tearing up again. It was so hard to see him like that and nothing I did could soothe him. It lasted for about an hour and a half and I was frantic by the end.

He finally cried himself out, and slept fitfully for 4 hours
I was desperate, and so worried he would be this upset/uncomfortable all night and into today. Mercifully he slept for a long time. When Dillon and Kyle got home they gave him a blessing. It was so powerful to watch Dillon administer the priesthood in a father's blessing for the first time. After that Vince got up to eat a few times but quickly fell back to sleep each time.

Today he's back to normal but will make the most heartbreakingly precious pouty face any time I accidentally touch his legs. He pulls his chin up, sticks his bottom lip out so far, and his eyebrows tilt down super far. But he doesn't cry. He's trying hard to be brave. I seriously don't think I could physically/mentally handle another day like yesterday so I'm really happy he's feeling better!

1 comment:

  1. I feel teary just reading that....a little off for timing....but so sorry to hear of his suffering...nothing worse than watching your son/daughter suffer....One of my most spiritual experiences with Heavenly Father came when I was pleading for my child to be comforted....could it be me instead....and HF said...I too, watched my son suffer!!!! Love you...BIG HUG!

    ReplyDelete