Sunday, May 27, 2012

An Adventure of Firsts

A great thing about having a newborn is almost everyday seems to hold a new set of "firsts", both for you and for him. First bath, first trip to the park, first time at church... everyday seems more exciting.

We're finally able to get him to look at the camera for pictures now as he can focus on who's talking

My little Mama's Boy


Our first notable "first" was my Mother's Day. My mom decided for her Mother's Day gift she wanted us to spend the night before at her house so she could watch Vince at night. Which meant I got to sleep- wonderful. Dillon and Kyle made us breakfast (eggs, bacon, and German pancakes) it was so good!

In honor of Mother's Day I'll share one of my favorite things about being a new mom: There has been 2 or 3  occasions when Vince has gotten a bit fussy (meaning he'll grunt, kick, and give dirty looks) and the person holding him hasn't been able to calm him down. When I go where he can see me or hold him he stops and seems so content! It warms my heart that he knows me and is calmer when his mommy is there!



PJ is part of a great organization called HopeKids. It's for children with life threatening conditions and their families. Knowing how expensive and consuming treatment is, HopeKids puts on all kinds of free events and activities for families. Last Saturday morning they had a free private movie screening, so we brought Vince to his first movie: Avengers. He slept like a champ through the whole thing, but at least his first movie was a boy movie.

Like almost everyone we LOVED the movie

It has been really fun introducing Vincent around to our friends. One of the families I was most eager for Vince to meet is the Johnsons: Neil, Bert, Court, Addi, Libby and Everly. This is the family I lived with in Minnesota my senior year of high school, and they are basically by second family. We brought him over last Monday and had a great time (Addi's gorgeous new fiance was there too- SO happy for them both). Everly kept saying, "look at the cute baby, isn't he cute!?" After a while Neil invited the 3 of us to join them for dinner, thus Vince had his first experience out to eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory





Dillon has been substitute teaching for me the last 3 weeks of school, so last week we finally brought Vince in to meet the students and staff for the first time. Also, I got the chance to speak at Graduation this past weekend.



There is a fairly expansive park by our house. There is a beautiful duck pond, and my mom confessed she has long day-dreamed of taking a nice Sunday walk around it with her grandson. First time feeding ducks (aka- watching Uncle Paul do it), and first solar eclipse (though we were careful to keep his face covered so he didn't accidentally look)
Watching them feed the ducks






Oh how I love our little family




A doting Grandma Wilson and Uncle PJ
This next one isn't really a first but Dillon loves this picture, and it always makes him laugh. For some unknowable reason Vince likes to eat in this position. Without his shorts on you can tell how much he looks like a squat little frog!




One of our favorite firsts was Vince getting to meet his Grandpa Wilson for the First time! My Dad was out most of last week from Minnesota to spend time with us and my siblings. Vincent is the first grandchild on my side which means he is never set down. Someone is always holding him and "it's my turn now", is a commonly heard phrase as we do our best to share.I'm so glad he came out!

Too bad Papa Willy looks like he doesn't like #1...
Bonding time with Grandpa
We went out to lunch with my grandparents at Grandpas favorite spot: Culver's (notice he's even got the official hat). First time getting these 4 generations together.


Vince may be the first grandchild for my Dad but he's the 5th of 8 children, so Vince is also great grandchild #31 (I think) for my grandparents.





Naps with Vince are the best, and since my Dad got up with Vince the first 3 nights (which meant actually getting to enter REM sleep for us!!!) he took several naps with him.


Getting to meet a lot of Wilsons at my cousin Sadie's bridal shower

Got to love when there is another wiling set of hands on diaper patrol!

Grandpa's last night (is it just me or does he look more tired than he did earlier in the week!?)







2 comments:

  1. HOLM SWEET HOLM....aptly named, especially now. As distance grandma, I sure do love that you like to blog the details of your lives...it makes me feel part of all the special things you go through. So looking forward to August and seeing Prince VInce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the update and hearing about all the firsts! You guys are such wonderful parents and Vince just keeps getting cuter! And you are right, I see a lot of similarities between him and baby pictures of our boys. Yay for cousins! Miss and love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete